Sunday, June 7, 2015

What music is to me..

My last weekend was immersed in music, at the Chinmaya Naada Bindu festival.  Complete engagement for almost 3 full days in classical music and dance. There were hindustani & carnatic music concerts (both vocal and instrumental), lecture demonstrations, kathak dance etc.  About 700+ people attending the festival; all staying in Chinmaya Vibhooti campus; all having food from the “Annashree” of Chinmaya Vibhooti.  Organization of the festival was flawless with the high level of enthusiasm of organisers, volunteers and attendees.  Non-availability of TV, newspaper, and internet ensured that we can focus on music.  There are only few areas where cell phone waves reach, that added to the much needed cut-off from the digitally-connected world.  




To me, it was a ‘spiritual’ retreat. Music helps me meditate, focus on inner self, and experience the calmness, implying that it is “prayer”. I have read many people using the term ‘spiritual’ in different contexts.  Most of the time I see people using the word ’spiritual’ for ‘religious’.  Personally I believe, ‘religious’ refers to ‘a set of beliefs’ and ’carrying out rituals’, and very different from spiritual.  There are no beliefs or rituals associated with listening to music.. so to me it is ‘spiritual’, as that takes me to a different level of inner feeling of calmness.

Have been reading on music and how it affects or influences human body, mind, soul and intellect.  Thought, I will share the essence of what I have understood.  Many people say ‘Music is universal language of God’. Fully agree.  Alders Huxley says “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music”.  Talented musicians express through their music (which are inexpressible by other means), and listeners experience the bliss.  Music and spiritual life are like twins, and how can we separate them? To a spiritual seeker, music helps to go deep within to get the utmost satisfaction from life.  

I think, music manifests in different people in different ways.  I would love to close my eyes and enjoy the bliss.  Of course, at times love to enjoy the actions of few musicians such as kunnakkudi vaidyanathan :) .  For some people music inspires them to do their art.  My good friend Shireesh Kathale tends to paint when he listens to great musicians.  Shireesh, a professor of design, creates fantastic paintings as he listens to maestros.  He painted during all the five concerts at the Chinmaya Naada Bindu festival, the outcome being amazing unique paintings.

I have read that music heals.  I do believe that, as I have seen the effect of music on my daughter.  Definitely it has helped her to become quieter.  Music therapy is practiced all over the world.  Few days back, I attended a presentation by an Indian classical musician, who practices music therapy and she claims that it has helped heal many people with brain disorders.  

An experiment conducted at the University of California at Irvine, where two groups of students were made to listen to different genres of music, and a third group nothing.  After listening, they took the famous Stanford-Beinet reasoning test.  The results demonstrated improved ability by those who listened to music.  Many stories can be found, which clearly demonstrates effect of music on people with autism, alzheimiers and parkinson.  

Right from childhood days, I wanted to learn music.  Finally that desire realised when I crossed 50.  I tried tabla and sitar.  Both didn’t give me the feel I wanted.  Now practicing bansuri does gives me the kind of satisfaction, I was looking for.  Though unable to devote enough time to practice, whatever little I am able to do, gives me immense satisfaction.  So, listening to good music and playing the basic lessons myself on my bansuri takes me to a different world.. That’s all my meditation and prayer.. Looking inward and trying to feel self.. 

Let me conclude this post reiterating what Plato has said "Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything." 




2 comments:

  1. Once again an excellent essay on music, Rajeev ji. Sincere well thought out, and from your own experiences. Music is indeed a unique gift from God to man. Best wishes and looking forward to your next blog, as and when you feel like posting it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mamu , loved the post! Now i know what that constant dialogues with your Bansuri meant! Music to me has been a mystery which i try to reveal through movement and expression... and it has been one of the most purging experiences ever!And i think i am indeed blessed to be constantly experience this through my chosen profession!

    ReplyDelete

Joy of Giving Up Habits and Comforts in quest of Safe Hands

Last few months, we have been experiencing “Jo y of Giving Up ”.   Have read quite a bit on it in articles and many forwarded messages. It i...