Saturday, May 26, 2018

The Grand Feeling


It was 2:30 in the morning.  Comes the message from my son “We are extremely blessed and absolutely delighted to announce the arrival of our daughter….. “ .  There was eruption of joy.  My aged parents too were waiting for this news.  My daughter kept on asking every now and then in the night regarding any message from her brother.  She too was jumping with joy.  I was not sure what’s the feeling that made her jump in joy.  Her becoming an aunt? Getting a new member at home?  Whatever it be, it was a “Grand Feeling” for all of us.  Heart suddenly filled with moments of gladness and delight. 

Yes, ‘Grand Feeling’.. Me, my wife and my daughter in law’s parents became ‘grand’ parents.  Just like us, it’s first experience for them too.  My mother-in-law got promoted to “great grand mother”.  Though my parents are already great grand parents, this was very special for them as the baby is in the Kamath clan itself. 


I was closely observing the way my son and daughter-in-law were experiencing the pregnancy.  Away from us.  Doing everything by themselves, the way they want.  No pressure of any do’s and don’ts from anybody.  I’m sure, they enjoyed it to the fullest.

It took quite bit of time to sink in the ‘grand’ feeling.  My mind went back many years.  Days I spent with my ‘grand’ father, who was my friend, philosopher, guide and role model, during early years of my life.  I use to hang around holding his hand wherever he goes. Being with him was my first ‘grand’ feeling.  I imbibed ‘the values’ of my life from him.  Many many instances of me with my grandfather flash-backed in my mind, a unique bond, that can’t be expressed in words.

Now I’ve reached the other end in my life.  I’m grandfather to a new born.  Mind traversed through many instances of ‘those’ days and landed at present.  The ‘grand feeling’ multiplied many folds, when I took the baby in my hands.  Both my wife and daughter on my side, son and daughter-in-law in front, and the baby in my hands; I felt the miracle of her charms.  Tender feelings are hard to express. I realized what a long life is for.  

Mind started flying form present to future. Baby’s growth started flashing - crawling, standing, walking, running, speaking and all other expressions.  What I'm dreaming is a ‘grand’ bond between us - the grand father and the grand daughter - a bond that is built on trust, a bond that gives her comfort, and a bond that makes her lean on me.




14 comments:

  1. Wow annu, enjoyed reading every single word! A ‘grand’ feeling, going through the generational flashback and in the end, a brief window to the future... Wish you and baby Rhea a bond as strong as that you have with the rest of our family! We are all waiting to see her, will plan a meeting soon. - Vinay and Nanditha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vinay and Nanditha. Strong bond with family brings many moments of joy.. and we have to find excuses and occasions to meet more often.. We still remember our togetherness during Prash's wedding in 2014 in Mumbai.. Please plan to have some good time with Prash, Kruti and Rhea.

      Delete
  2. It's really a heart whelming feeling when a new responsibity with sweetness and affection gets bestowed on you..congrats to new born grand father and relish this post the fullest...😍😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully expressed! Every moment with her is precious indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sushama, Yes, every moment with her is precious!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations Rajeev sir and family.. may the feeling of grandness always be as delightful as it is now.. I know such feelings are difficult to express but you have beautifully put them in words.. god bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sia.. indeed, the feeling is delightful..

      Delete
  5. Yay GRAND post... Welcome to this beautiful world...dear bundle of "grand" happiness...Rhea kutty... I am extremely amazed to read this expression of your feelings in such a simple beautiful way Bhavu... Enjoy this milestone ... baby Rhea, her Parents and both sets of "Grand" & Great "Grand" Parents... Our bestest of the wishes to all of you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Swathi, Yes, enjoying the milestone..

      Delete
  6. The pleasure of being a "grand"parent is that you get to enjoy the pleasures of Parenthood without the pressures of Parenthood. You have already done more than your share of the "pressure" part!

    Enjoy the phase, Rajeev. If the joy I have seen in my parents and in-laws face is anything to go by, this is the time to enjoy the part of Prashant's childhood that you were too busy to notice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rajeev, you said it.. Thoroughly enjoying...

      Delete
  7. Lovely...Rajeev...all good
    luck too to the new born..family

    ReplyDelete

Joy of Giving Up Habits and Comforts in quest of Safe Hands

Last few months, we have been experiencing “Jo y of Giving Up ”.   Have read quite a bit on it in articles and many forwarded messages. It i...