Saturday, July 28, 2018

Guru Purnima - A day to remember Gurus...


For last couple of years, wanted to write a post on Guru Purnima day.  But couldn’t do.   Guru Purnima was yesterday.  Attempted a post today, and here it is.

When I look back, I have many gurus in life.  My first guru? Yes, one Madhavan Asaan, my first formal teacher. We sit on a floor made of stone pebbles and filled with sand and a surface done with cow dung solution, some sand in front of us and the teacher holds our index finger and make us write in the sand.  It was called 'Kalari'.  Whatever we learnt on a day, the teacher would write on a palm leaf and give us to take home.  Every day we carry the palm leaf (with a knot at one end) for the class. May be an year to year and half I went to the ‘Kalari’.. That was our nursery, LKG, UKG etc..  We have never heard these terms then.. Remembering Madhavan Asaan, my first formal Guru..


Then to schools and colleges.. Came across many teachers.. Forgot many, vaguely remember many.. and still recollect quite a few because of their teaching and affection towards students.  Still in touch with many teachers, whom I consider as Gurus, and have added value to my life.. One teacher whom I can not forget is Prof C S Krisnamoorthy of IIT Madras.. He has taught me, we have taught courses together; he has guided me for my Phd, we together have guided students for masters and PhD; and we have co-authored books together.  He has contributed the maximum for what I am today, who unfortunately passed away in a road accident many years back.  Remembering him at this moment. 

I was initiated to Hindustani music by Smt Jyoti Ghosh on Sitar and Shri Govind Gosavi sir on Bansuri, and currently continuing the journey with Shri Himanshu Nanda on Bansuri.  With Himanshuji I have a completely different relationship, much more than a Guru and Shishya.  Learning a lot from him and doing some interesting research work together.  My Pranams to Himanshuji.

On spiritual front, I have learnt from many Gurus. May not be one-on-one, but by reading their books. But one Guru stands out is Swami Chinmayananda, with whom I have interacted personally and learnt a lot. Swami Chinmayananda has sowed the seeds of spirituality in me. Value systems of my life are derived from them. Today my humble pranams to Swamiji on this occasion of Guru Purnima.  

Everyday we learn, every moment we learn, that too from many people around.  If I look at past few years, the max I learnt about life is from one person, none other than my daughter Pratibha. 

These days many of us keep getting too many advises  in media such as WhatsApp and Facebook, mostly forwarded by friends and relatives.  I am sure quite a few of those who have forwarded them does not practice what is written in the forwarded advises.  But just blindly forwards to others. Isn’t it a deceit, cheating self?  Pratibha, my daughter can’t read and comprehend any such messages.  But the way she runs her life, is as pronounced in many of those ‘forwards’.   

Some examples:
  • She says “No” where she has to; no difficulty at all.. I am trying to learn that trick from her..
  • She doesn’t bother what others speak about her, she does what makes her happy… We tend to become conscious; also do things to satisfy others / society.. 
  • Her prayers are sincere, when someone prays telling something and does different, she questions..
  • She has many differences in opinion with many at home and outside; that doesn’t affect her love towards them.. Are most of us that way?
  • She never judges people..  Many times we tend to judge people a bit too early..
  • Her love towards anybody is unconditional.. Can we say so with our love towards others?
  • She is so dedicated towards her work.. For her ‘work first’ and ‘all others next’.. Many can emulate this from her..
  • Work doesn’t make her tired, but sitting idle yes.. 

I have been learning such lessons of life from Pratibha for many years.  The lessons are not ‘told’ (or forwarded), but ‘practiced and demonstrated’ every day.  She influenced me in changing my outlook towards life.  Not just mine, but most of my family member’s. 

Well, not extending.. Pranams to all my gurus on this auspicious occasion of Guru Purnima and thanks and blessings to many, who have sent me messages seeking blessings!

श्री गुरुभ्यो नमः

2 comments:

Joy of Giving Up Habits and Comforts in quest of Safe Hands

Last few months, we have been experiencing “Jo y of Giving Up ”.   Have read quite a bit on it in articles and many forwarded messages. It i...