Saturday, April 10, 2021

Siblings.. The forgotten children of Autism [Autism Acceptance Campaign 2021 - Day 10]

In today’s post I am touching upon a point, which generally goes to back burner in many families.  Sibling(s), of an autistic child.  When parents and other family members comes to know about their child’s condition (child with autism), focus of all in family shifts to the autistic child.  This invariably affects the siblings.  Many siblings almost lose their childhood.  Siblings will not be able to understand the differences between them and cope with it.  This is a bigger challenge for families to ensure that the effect on sibling is made to minimum.  Siblings have their own challenges. Some find it hard to admit to their friends that their brother / sister is autistic.  They suffer socially and try to keep away from their autistic brother or sister.  I have seen many siblings handle the situations in a very matured manner.

On the other hand, siblings are the ones who contribute most for development / growth of an autistic child.  Them not knowing the complexities in a way helps them to handle the situations better.  Here are few quotes from siblings:


I am sibling of someone who is autistic.  I believe this is the best thing that ever happened to me because now I see the world through the eyes of possibility.


When I see friends messing around with their brothers and sisters, it makes me realise that I’ll never have those kinds of moments with my siblings.  It hurts to know that nothing is ever going to be normal.


My brother is loving, brave, funny, smart, inspiring, unique, silly, cool… all this and autistic too!”


Autism siblings are special too.. High-Five to all brothers and sisters who support their sibling who is living Wirth Autism.  


You all Rock”….


2 comments:

Joy of Giving Up Habits and Comforts in quest of Safe Hands

Last few months, we have been experiencing “Jo y of Giving Up ”.   Have read quite a bit on it in articles and many forwarded messages. It i...